Overview of the Board of Regents
The Board of Regents is the governing body of the University of North Texas System (UNT System), which consists of the University of North Texas, the UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth and UNT Dallas. The Governor appoints regents for all Texas public university systems and regents are appointed with staggered six-year terms.
In 2005, the Texas Legislature authorized the appointment of one student regent to each university system board of regents. Student regents serve a one-year term commencing June 1 and expiring May 31 of the following year. They are appointed by the Governor, under the provisions of the Education Code, Section 51.355.
Student Regent Role and Responsibilities
The student regent represents the interests of the students on all campuses and the University of North Texas System. The student regent is not a member of the board of regents of the system for which the student regent is appointed. However, the student regent has the same powers and duties as the members of the board of regents of the system, including the right to attend and participate in meetings of the board of regents, except that the student regent:
- May not vote on any matter before the Board or make or second any motion before the board; and
- Is not counted in determining whether a quorum exists for a meeting of the board or in determining the outcome of any vote of the Board.
The student regent may serve on task forces and committees during their term and they are expected to participate in required regent activities including board meetings, board teleconference meetings, and board retreats.
Reimbursement for Expenses
Per Section 51.355 (i) of the Education Code, a student regent serves without compensation but is entitled to be reimbursed for the actual expenses incurred by the student regent in attending the meetings of the board of regents, subject to the approval of the chairman of the board of regents.
Requirements for Appointment and During Term
To be eligible for appointment as student regent, a person must:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in a general academic teaching institution or medical unit in the University of North Texas System
- Be in good academic standing as determined by the institution at the time of appointment
- Remain enrolled at the institution throughout the person’s term as student regent.
A person is considered to be enrolled in an institution or unit for a summer term
if the person was enrolled in the institution or unit for the preceding semester and:
- Is registered or pre-registered at the institution or unit for the following fall semester
- If the person has not completed the person’s degree program, is eligible to continue the degree program at the institution or unit in the following fall semester
- If the person completed a degree program in the preceding semester, is admitted to another degree program at the institution or unit for the following fall semester.
- Maintain a grade point average of at least 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).
Application Forms and General Notes on Completing the Applications
All persons interested in applying for the student regent position are required to complete two applications. Click on the links below to access the forms.
- UNT System Student Regent Application for 2023-2024 (PDF) or UNT System Student Regent Application for 2023-2024 (RTF)
- Office of the Governor Appointment Application (PDF) or Office of the Governor Appointment Application (MS Word)
[Please refer to the Guide to the Appointment Application] (PDF)
Every question must be answered on both forms, even where information required in the Office of the Governor Appointment Application is duplicated in the UNT System Student Regent Application. If additional space is required for any question, a separate sheet may be attached.
A photo and brief resume must be included with the Office of the Governor Appointment Application. NOTE: The resume does not eliminate the need to complete every question on the application.
Original signatures are required on both the UNT System Student Regent Application and the Office of the Governor Appointment Application.
Prior to submitting the applications, applicants must verify they are in good standing with the Office of the Dean of Students, Office of the Bursar, and Office of the Registrar. The student is responsible for contacting each office and asking a representative from that office to complete the appropriate section in the box under the applicant’s signature on the UNT System Student Regent Application.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
|No later than November 1||
The student government shall begin soliciting applicants for appointment to the next
regular term of the student regent. This term shall be June 1, 2023 through May 31,
Within the UNT System, the student regent is selected on a rotating basis from each of the three campuses. The student regent for 2023-2024 will be selected from the University of North Texas.
|No later than January 1||The student government shall select five applicants as the student government’s recommendations for the position of student regent and send all original application materials for those applicants to the Chancellor.|
|No Later than February 1||
The Chancellor shall select two or more applicants from among those recommended and send the original application materials for those applicants to the Governor.
The Governor reviews the submitted applications and may request to review all applications received. The Governor may also request that an applicant submit additional information.
|On June 1, or as soon thereafter as practicable||The Governor appoints a student regent for a one-year term expiring on the next May 31.|