The University of North Texas System Rules of the Board of Regents (“Regents Rules”) set forth the System-wide policy regarding legal review of contracts and agreements. "Regents Rule 03.906 Delegation of Authority for Contracts and Agreements" exempts certain contracts from individualized legal review, and is essentially in two parts: (1) an exemption from individualized legal review for approved standard form agreements, and (2) an exemption from legal review for contracts and agreements that meet criteria published annually by the Office of General Counsel (“Criteria for Exemption”). Annual revision and publication of the Criteria for Exemption will provide flexibility to the institutions and to the System Administration by allowing modifications that may expand or retract the scope of the Criteria for Exemption as appropriate, without seeking additional Board of Regents approval. The Board of Regents and the Chancellor, as well as the Presidents and their administrations will be provided an opportunity to review and consider the Criteria for Exemption annually prior to its publication and implementation.
Criteria for Exemption from Legal Review
Beginning January 15, 2014, the following contracts and agreements will not require individualized legal review pursuant to Regents Rule 03.906.3:
- Purchasing contracts with a value at or below $100,000, except that legal review is required for all purchasing contracts directly related to clinical services.
- State of Texas TXMAS and DIR contracts, provided no additional terms and conditions are included.
- Credit applications otherwise approved by institution purchasing departments.
- Amendments, modifications, renewals, and/or extensions to an existing contract for the purchase or license of library materials when the revision is limited to:
- a) An extension of the term;
- b) A change in the cost of the contract; and/or
- c) The addition or subtraction of titles or other service.
Research and Grant Agreements
- Research and Grant Agreements with a value at or below $500,000, except that legal review is required for all research contracts directly related to clinical services.
- Contracts and subcontracts using Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) forms, provided the standard FDP terms and conditions have not been modified or amended.
- Research and Grant Agreements with the federal government on official federal government forms.
- Research and Grant Agreements with Texas state agencies and political subdivisions.
- Amendments, modifications, renewals, and/or extensions to an existing research/grant agreement when the revision is limited to:
- a) An extension of the term;
- b) A change in the overall cost of the agreement;
- c) A non-substantive change; and/or
- d) A change to correct clerical error.
- Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements.
- Material Transfer Agreements.
- Articulation agreements.
- Dual credit agreements.
- Gift agreements or amendments to gift agreements for the gift of cash, cash equivalents, or personal property unless Board of Regents approval is required.
- UNT Press publishing agreements with a value below $1,000,000.
- Contracts, agreements, extensions, and amendments that generate $100,000 or less of revenue for the System or an Institution during the term of the agreement and any extension or amendment, except that legal review is required for all contracts directly related to clinical services.
The Office of General Counsel has created a Standard Addendum that can be attached to any contract between third parties and the System or an Institution. By having both parties to a contract sign the Standard Addendum, the clauses contained within the Standard Addendum will be incorporated into the contract, ensuring compliance with state of Texas contracting requirements. Please see the section on State Contracting Requirements on this website or located at page 14 of the Contracting Handbook for more information.
Click to download the Standard Addendum for each institution:
In addition to the contracts listed in the Criteria for Exemption, Standard Contracts are exempt from individualized legal review. Standard Contracts are contracts prepared on forms created by the Office of General Counsel, which have been reviewed and approved in writing by the Office of General Counsel for use without individualized legal review. The Office of General Counsel will provide written authorization to use a Standard Contract without additional legal review via a memo that will be provided to you with the form contract. You should attach a copy of this memo to a Standard Contract when you submit it for signature. Written approval for the use of a Standard Contract will expire every two years, at which time the Standard Contract will be reviewed, revised if needed, and re-approved if appropriate.
The Office of General Counsel has already identified several contracts that could be used effectively in this manner, and will continue to expand this list with System-wide input, projecting that approximately 50 Standard Contracts and Agreements will be drafted and approved for use during Fiscal Year 2008.
Examples of Standard Contracts and Agreements are the Murchison Facilities Use Agreement, the International Studies International Memorandum of Agreement (UNT), and Medical Student Affiliation Agreement (UNTHSC).
The Office of General Counsel will also produce several Model Contracts to serve as templates for the creation of contracts and agreements that will not be exempt from individualized legal review due to risks inherent in their subject matter and/or administrative requirements. Legal review of contracts and agreements that are based on these templates will be expedited.
Examples of model agreements are the Head Coach Employment Agreement (UNT) and the Medical Director Agreement (UNTHSC).
If you have suggestions or requests for the development of new Standard and Model Agreements, please contact the Office of General Counsel.