Friday, January 31, 2020
The Internal Revenue Service redesigned the Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate for 2020, to account for the 2018 federal tax law changes. The IRS mandates the use of the new Form W-4 for the following employees: 1) employees hired January 1, 2020 or after; and 2) employees changing their Form W-4 after January 1, 2020, regardless of their hire date.
If an employee hired before January 1, 2020 does not submit a new W-4 form, withholding will continue based on the previously submitted W-4 form.
We recommend that all employees perform a “paycheck checkup” to verify the accuracy of their withholding by using the IRS’s Tax Withholding Estimator (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator).
If completing the 2020 Form W-4, please read the instructions that are included with the form. You must complete Steps 1 and 5.To ensure the accuracy of your withholdings, complete Steps 2 through 4 only if they apply to you.
- Step 1: is for your personal information;
- Step 2: is for households with multiple jobs (Please read through the instructions carefully, including the privacy information);
- Step 3: is used to claim tax credits for dependents;
- Step 4: is for other adjustments (additional income such as interest and dividends, itemized deductions that exceed the standard deduction, and extra tax you want withheld); and
- Step 5: is where you submit the form.
The IRS has published Frequently Asked Questions that you may find helpful as you complete the form (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/faqs-on-the-2020-form-w-4).
Please follow the steps below to update your Form W-4.
Go to the Employee Self-Service portal: my.untsystem.edu
- Login by entering your EUID and password.
- Click on the Human Resources tab.
- Under Payroll and Compensation: Click on W-4 Tax Information
- Follow the instructions on the screen and complete the additional sign-on security measures when prompted.
Please note: Nonresident Aliens are still required to follow the Supplemental Form W-4 instructions contained in Notice 1392, which differ from the instructions provided above: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/n1392.pdf
Questions? Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at 940.369.5500/Toll-Free: 855.868.4357. We look forward to serving you.