We started our journey to build a values-based culture earlier this year and over
the last several months we’ve been hard at work laying the foundation needed to foster,
and ultimately sustain, a values-based culture across the entire UNT System.
The journey started when we established a new UNT System Vision. This vision states: By 2026, the UNT System is one team, values-driven and customer-focused with an emphasis on excellence, curiosity, and innovation.
Once we defined a clear vision, we set out to establish a unified set of core values and associated behaviors knowing that in time, these values and behaviors will permeate our system – its decisions, its policies, its actions.
We thoughtfully engaged with each of you throughout the process through surveys, Join the Journey sessions, and workshops. Along each step of the way, I was inspired and appreciative of the work many of you contributed, and the rich diversity of thought, ideas and participation along the way that led us here today.
In early November, 125 of our fellow team members were invited to participate in a two-day Values Blueprint Workshop. They came from all the campuses with a variety of expertise and backgrounds and engaged in thoughtful discussion to define and state our UNT System values and behaviors.
I am pleased to share the UNT System’s core values and behaviors that we will ultimately all agree to live by: Courageous Integrity, Be Curious, We Care, Better Together, and Show Your Fire.
These core values, along with the behaviors associated with each, were clearly defined and stated during the Values Blueprint Workshop and agreed upon by your presidents, colleagues, and leaders.
This work is more important than you may know or understand at this point in our journey. In time, the power of one team with clearly defined values and behaviors will become clear. I encourage you to spend time learning and becoming familiar with our values. Upon our return from winter break, we will host a series of events introducing our values and getting to know what they mean and how we can begin to live them.
I am excited about what lies ahead for our System, and I’m confident our new values will guide us to a highly successful future. I am fully committed to living these values each and every day and invite you to join me.
Dr. Michael R. Williams
Model exceptional standards and act in the best interest of our community.
- Build trust through consistent actions that are honest, transparent, and authentic.
- Provide, accept, and support open and constructive feedback.
- Hold yourself and others accountable for decisions, behaviors, actions, and results.
Cultivate opportunities for learning, creating, discovering, and innovating.
- Question the conventional with creative solutions.
- Engage in new experiences for learning and growth.
- Take strategic risk and learn from failure and success.
- Pursue collaborative opportunities.
Champion a people-first approach to building relationships and community.
- Cultivate authentic connections that have a meaningful impact.
- Share expertise and resources.
- Recognize contributions and celebrate success.
- Help at least one person every day.
Foster an inclusive environment of respect, belonging, and access for all.
- Develop awareness and understanding of different experiences.
- Respect diversity of people, beliefs, thoughts, and ideas.
- Support opportunities to remove barriers to equity and inclusion.
Exhibit passion and pride in the experiences we create.
- Go beyond the ordinary and surpass expectations.
- Be prepared, be present, and actively participate.
- Promote enthusiastic engagement.
- Cultivate a positive environment and find opportunities for fun and recognition.